Wednesday, July 09, 2008

7 supreme laws of happiness

Ah, this is such a sweet moment! After writing 831 posts, I finally came across an insight that I wanted to share with you immediately. It's about how the 7 key areas of life impact one another.

In the colorful diagram above, I capture those 7 key areas. Notice that the "Creative Career" box is a little bit bigger since I wanted to suggest that it's important to choose a career that allows one to grow.

Indeed, a good, creative career can impact all the other areas of life, as I describe on the arrows.

For example, if you choose a career purely for the sake of money and you're not really passionate about it, it will have negative repercussions on your health. Also, you won't earn as much money for the time and effort that you put in.

On the social front, you are likely to be less confident since people at cocktail parties or at any get-together will often ask: "So John, what do you do?"

Finally, and perhaps most importantly for young people in their 20s, choosing a career that doesn't allow your true self to express itself, will negatively impact your "performance"on the dating scene and in love relationships. The reason is simple: If you don't know your true self, you cannot know true love.

I don't mean "true self" in the big sense, but in the humble sense of consciously choosing, always, to do what feels right to you. This is about self-honesty. And if you don't have it, then it's impossible to be involved meaningfully with another person.

Indeed, if you respect yourself so much that you give yourself the BEST career possible and don't settle for anything less, then you are likely to be capable of giving your lover the BEST attention, care and affection possible.

I will write more about the above diagram, which should be included in an upcoming ebook titled: "Total Happiness -- What it is and Why You Totally Deserve it!"

Note: I'm just kidding about the diagram title, "Peter's 7 Supreme Laws of Happiness." I was so happy after I finished drawing that diagram that I decided to stroke my self-esteem a little bit!