Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Pay what you can" business model

It's so fascinating that yesterday, I wrote a post about how to escape suffering and about the tyranny of the ego, and then today, for some mysterious reason, I searched for "free surveys" on Google and found Sureforms.net.

I then discovered something interesting: you can create a payment page so people can send you funds through Paypal. Example at http://www.sureforms.net/peterswork.form.

People can enter the amount they wish to contribute, and presto, you've got funds to support your work or fundraising, etc.

So today, I decided that I would give away my best work at http://peterswork.wordpress.com (operational in a few days) and people can donate whatever they can.

This "move" requires that I give up my ego, which I found -- surprisingly enough -- easy to do!

But it's not an entirely new idea. Wikipedia operates through donations, and so does the OCW from MIT (http://ocw.mit.edu).

Isn't it amazing that through the Internet, a person can benefit a huge number of people (who can instantly download digital content) and can be supported, financially, by a great number of people?

You can even offer a service and then let people donate what they can. Of course, this "business" model requires an egoless orientation toward your career or business. You have to sincerely want to help people with your product or service.

In other words, if your career or business is based on your ego, which wants everything for itself so it can grow in importance and power (thus making you lead an unconscious life), then it is very unlikely that you would adopt a "pay what you can" business model. This is because you would not trust other people.

In my case, I'm not at all worried about people not paying. I've been writing blogs for more than two years without being paid, because I enjoy it so much! I feel so blessed to be able to do this kind of work.

If you appreciate my blogs, please feel free to contribute what you can at http://www.sureforms.net/peterswork.form. If you can't contribute for any reason, don't worry about it. :-)