Saturday, January 20, 2007

Wisdom offers salvation and power to wrongly convicted man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq_AhuXi_8

Above is easily one of the top videos I've ever seen on YouTube! In less than 5 minutes, the video offers an electrifying tribute to Alexandre Dumas' masterpiece, Le Comte de Monte Cristo.

The story is one I identify with, about a man who was once naive about the ways of the world. As a result, he is unfairly punished by the law, pays a dear price and is brought to the brink of despair. He finds salvation in the vast and profound wisdom of a fellow prison inmate named Abbe Faria.

The movie has a breathtaking scene where the Count of Monte Cristo raises a toast to Albert Mondego, on the occasion of the lad's 18th birthday. I was so taken aback by the passage when I saw the movie that I memorized it!

"Life is a storm my young friend. You will bask in the sunglight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome: "Do your worst! For I will do mine!!"

Then the Fates will know you, as we know you. As Albert Mondego, the man."