Saturday, January 06, 2007

I'm so angry at Linda

Linda sent me an email last week. The subject line read: "The solution to all your virility issues."

I was shocked! How dare she do that to me!

First of all, I do NOT have ANY virility issue! As a male, I'm as alpha as it gets! (I'm also omega and all the other letters of the Greek alphabet which I don't remember).

Second of all, who the heck is this Linda? I don't even know her. And I don't remember ever dating any female entity named "Linda".

As you've probably guessed by now, it was spam email. I had a good laugh out of it. At least, it's not in Chinese or Korean. (BTW, that's my definition of "globalization": I get spammed in languages I don't understand!).

The success secret is not to spam back. Anyways, you can't. The spammer usually has a noreply@domainname.com kind of email.

The success secret is to SELL yourself more aggressively, but tastefully, tactfully and, hopefully, entertainingly.

This is a secret Harv Eker mentioned in his best-seller Secrets of the Millionaire Mind. He finds it strange that people are reluctant to "toot their own horns." He wrote: "If you're not going to do it, then who will?"

Here's what he wrote that really struck a chord with me: "If you believe in your value, how can it possibly be appropriate to hide it from people who might need it?"

Fortunately, I don't have that problem. Every time I made a lot of money (sometimes, I made $1,000 with just a phone call), it's because I proactively promoted myself. I can't help it, it's a reflex.

Today, with Blogger, Odeo, YouTube, Slideshare.net, etc. you can promote yourself, your expertise, your experience, etc. in so many ways!

As I often say to my clients: "You have the right to remain silent... and poor!"

As long as you're talking, you are selling. Of course, clients won't buy right away. But if you speak correctly, then prospects will increasingly feel that you are trustworthy, and then one day, they will feel 100% confident in your ability to deliver the solution to their problem. That's when they pull out their wallet and hand over some of that marvelous colored paper we all want! :-)