Saturday, February 09, 2008

To make a million dollar, deliver an Oscar performance

A few years ago, I met a young founder and CEO of a small company. He made a deep impression on me. He walked into my office and, flanked by two of his executives, he seemed to vibrate with unshakable self-confidence. There was a palpable, distinct and clear energy coming out from him, from his words, his gestures, his entire being.

Meeting him was a highly memorable and deeply instructional experience.

However, in the following years, I was never able to pinpoint exactly what I had learned from the experience. I knew I had learned something IMPORTANT, but what exactly? I couldn't tell.

I know that I saw his picture again in Montreal Magazine at McGill University's business library, and the magazine spent an entire article on him and his small company. He mentioned that one day, he would take his company public. He fascinated me so I photocopied the article.

Then, several years later, I discovered that indeed, his small company expanded so fast and he needed capital, so he did (as he said he would) take his company public. It is now listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

It was only recently that I finally realized why he made a deep impression on me, and what I had learned from him.

Even though he was running a small firm employing no more than half a dozen people and I was working for a publicly traded company at the time I met him, he seemed incredibly self-confident.

Actually, "self-confidence" is not the right word. He played a particular role very well -- the role of CEO of a large, publicly traded company. Yet, at the time, he was only president of a small firm.

In other words, he became an actor and ACTED OUT a certain role. The role of CEO of a large, publicly traded company. He did NOT play the role of president of a small firm. That was what surprised me and made me remember him.

I was expecting to meet the president of a small firm. Yet, I met the CEO of a large, publicly traded company. His "acting" was very convincing, worthy of an Oscar.

So that's the success secret I wanted to share with you today.

To become a millionaire, ACT like one right now, starting today. Think, feel, dress, talk, move, eat, etc. EXACTLY the way a millionaire would.

Of course, you can choose to be someone else and not a millionaire. A successful entrepreneur. A successful network marketing leader. A successful public speaker. A great wife. A great husband. A great lover. A famous, prolific and brilliant intellectual (er, that would be me!). Etc.

No matter who you want to become, make sure you thoroughly research the role the way a serious actor would research the character he/she would play in a movie. Then, turn your life into a theatrical stage or movie set and start acting!

Keep acting until you BECOME the person you want to be. Be as convincing as possible. Have fun at it.

And before you know it, you will become the ideal person you have in mind. And you will find it difficult to remember a time when you were not the ideal person you now are.