Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

I just wanted to take a minute to wish you a Merry Christmas! Indeed, this is a time of joy for Christmas is a celebration (and remembrance) of love.

About two weeks ago, CTV (a Canadian television network) interviewed my parents for they were interested in a story of how an immigrant family was able to come to Canada and start over while harmoniously integrating into Canadian society.

I also participated as I desperately wanted to promote this success secrets blog! (Just kidding... half-kidding, actually).

Although I didn't think about it at the time, I realize now that what I learned from my parents is their example. Indeed, no one can learn from any other person except through the clarity of their (conscious or unconscious) example.

Although my parents came to this great land with zero dollars and 8 kids to feed, aged 4 to 15, they always had faith. Faith as in "the absolute certainty that everything will be alright."

This faith is quite formidable for it is the basis for peace of mind and the platform for seeking joy in life.

My parents are practicing Catholics, but I think the particular name of their faith is not as important as the fact that they are LIVING their faith. In other words, they could have been Muslims and it would not have made a difference, since religion is just a set of beliefs. Strength doesn't come from intellectually knowing a set of beliefs but personally living by such beliefs.

Personally living by a set of beliefs is either incredibly hard or incredibly easy.

It is incredibly hard if a person is resisting the idea that joy is the purpose of life. It is incredibly easy if a person accepts the idea that joy IS the purpose of life.

So in that sense, Christmas Day is a reminder that every day should be Christmas Day! Every day should be filled with joy, love, fun, friends, family, good food, entertainment and excitement.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas today and every single day of your life! :-)