Thursday, August 23, 2007

The whole point of capitalism is to help you to WIN

Someone asked a question on Linkedin about the new economy, and I felt compelled to submit my opinion on the key challenge for working people. The question appears below my answer.

ANSWER

I think that no matter what new worlds are opened up by technology or globalization or new ways of working adopted by a critical mass of people, the essential question for one's career and financial success is not:

Where we work
With whom we work
When we work
etc.

But "Are we capable, using the new technologies, opportunities, ways of working, etc. to build capital?"

If people still think like "employees" who put in the time to get cash in return, then they will remain "losers" in the capitalistic system, which rewards capital design and concentration.

I don't mean "losers" in any offensive sense, because I know people are working hard. But the point of capitalism is to get to capital as fast as possible, and then let capital work for you.

Therefore, I submit that the key challenge for working people is to find out how to stop being "working people," and become capital designers and accumulators.

Hernando de Soto (The Mystery of Capital), James Davidson (the Sovereign Individual), Edward de Bono, Ferriss (the four hour work week), Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad Poor Dad), etc. are authors who have been empowering me to think like a capitalist, and not like an employee.

QUESTION

How small is our world, really?

I can't recall a time when globalisation and the "shrinking" of the world wasn't a popular subject for pundits of the appropriate persuasion. They all sounded wise (and still do) and each time I saw an example of the genre I nodded over my breakfast cereal in tacit agreement while contemplating what the rush hour traffic to my decidely local office would be like that morning.

The thing is, time has marched on, and the pundits where obviously right - the world has gotten progressively smaller. Increasingly the work in which I'm involved has come to have more and more global players and most of my conference calls now seem to need to be scheduled to work around multiple time zones.

That said, when I look for a new job I still expect to travel to a local office with perhaps the odd work from home day with most of my activities focusing on my own timezone or one or two to either side.

So my question is, when each of us go looking for the next job should we continue to look to the local help wanted ads giving special attention to those offering their own parking spaces or has the world shrunk to a point that each of us can now realistically turn that spare bedroom into a home office, become noctural and apply for jobs that would have us working as virtual team members with people we never see and who, all to frequently, speak our language as a distant second?

It strikes me that we're on the cusp of something interesting here and I'm really interested to hear about other peoples experiences and thoughts. How small is our world really?