Thursday, December 07, 2006

The woman is a psycho! (and my career mentor)

Have you seen her on TV? She's crazy. She's fearless. She scares the heck out of me.

Her name is Judge Judy. She gave me some of the best career management insights! More on that later. From Wikipedia:

"Each show is introduced with the statement: You are about to enter the courtroom of Judge Judith Sheindlin. The people are real. The cases are real. The rulings are final. This is her courtroom. This is Judge Judy.

The show features the former family court judge Judith Sheindlin, Esq., as an arbitrator hearing small claims cases with an award limit of US$5,000, the maximum in most U.S. states. She is notorious for berating litigants for the bad choices they make in their lives. Through cross-examination, she frequently exposes the lies the litigants tell and humiliates them for doing so."

---

Most people have not yet realized this, but in the new super-competitive economy, companies only hire the best. And the best reveal themselves through their work (NOT their resume!).

Judge Judy often stressed the importance of proof and evidence: "This is a court of law, I don't care about your opinion! Show me the proof!"

I've always found it easy to compete for jobs in the 90s. I always showed PROOF of what I had done for previous employers, as well as PROOF of what I plan to do for the employer after he hires me (in the form of a detailed work plan for the next 6 months).

That's my success secret.

I often advise people that "employers have absolutely no reason to believe anything you say, until they have a reason to." In other words, provide plenty of evidence, rational arguments, proofs, etc.

Unfortunately, many people still look at the job interview (or the sales call) as a question-and-answer thing. It's not. You have to present your case -- a case made airtight through rigorous planning, analysis and value design (more on value design later). You have to speak and act almost like a lawyers in front of a jury.

Here's a neat reminder about the importance of concrete evidence presented in order to sell yourself: "People don't believe anything that comes out of your mouth, but will tend to believe most of the things that come from your hand."