Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What financial freedom requires

People may talk about financial freedom, they may dream about it, they may attend seminars led by experts who achieved it, but at the end of the day, the only person who can truly achieve it is the person who is capable of making ruthless decisions and executing ruthless actions.

Of course, we're not talking about killing anyone or engaging in felonies!

I mean "ruthless" in the sense of clearly seeing what has to be done, and then do it. Clearly seeing reality in the face, without making any excuse for it, and then do what is required to achieve financial freedom.

The first realization is that all employees are slaves. Of course, most employees, especially those who have climbed to middle management or executive level, will strongly deny this reality. Self-denial is precisely the reason why they will remain slaves for the rest of their lives.

I wish I were able to use a word that is gentler than "slave," because I realize it might offend some people. But if you don't control how you spend your time, and where you spend it, and with whom, then you are a slave every week day, from 9 to 5.

The realization that you are a slave will feel painful (so I hope you're reading this posting at least after you've had your first cup of coffee!).

But the pain will go away. I know, I had that feeling in June 2000. That was when I decided to quit corporate Canada for good.

You can either realize you are a slave when you're in your 20s, in your 30s, in your 40s, or even in your 50s. But sooner or later, you will realize it.

If you realize it sooner, then you still have time to learn about business -- which is the best and perhaps the only way (except for winning the lottery!) to achieve financial freedom.

Business is a way to earn more and more money, while working less and less physically.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to recruit you and convince you to join my multi-level marketing (MLM) company or anything like that!

I'm just saying that I've been an employee, I've been a free agent (translator) and I am now a business owner. And trust me, being a business owner is the best.

Not just financially, but emotionally and socially as well.

Emotionally, I feel fierce and savage, like a tiger. I used to feel like sheep before, when I was an employee (no offense to anyone who is still an employee).

Socially, I can meet anyone I want to. I have total freedom on how I use my time, and where I choose to work or socialize. I AM NOT REQUIRED TO SPEND THE ENTIRE DAY SITTING IN A CUBICLE STARING AT A COMPUTER.

What about you?

Suppose you are clear-minded and you realize that as an employee, you are a slave who can never win economically or financially. What do you do?

It would be nice if, in order to secure our freedom, we only had to fight like gladiators in the Colosseum (as in the movie Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe). The reality, of course, is that most people are not as skilled in man-to-man combat as Maximus Decimus Meridius!

So the first thing to realize, after you accept your slave status, is that to achieve freedom, you need TRAINING. Massive, personalized, precise, lethal and effective training.

Going into business is the same as going into an arena, where all the other gladiators have spent all their time and energy and money training themselves so they can kill you with a blow of the sword.

Most people don't realize that business IS lethal combat. This is why over 70% of businesses fail within the first three years, and about 90% fail within five years. (The rate of failure is different for different industries, of course).

Only people who are absolutely clear-minded and accept reality as it is, and DEAL with it, face to face, will succeed in business. This is why the quote from Walter E. Kurtz above is so relevant.

If your perception of yourself (your strengths, weaknesses, blindspots, etc.) is clear and your perception of reality is clear, and your willpower is superior to the other guy, and you are able to execute ruthlessly based on what your willpower dictated, then nothing can stop you. You WILL achieve financial freedom.