Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Knowledge is the key to wealth creation

I often tell workshop participants that "the presence of fear is just the absence of knowledge."

In the case of a life-and-death situation, such as when you are facing a burglar who is wielding a knife in his hand, then "fear is the absence of appropriate training (in martial arts, for instance)."

But what is "knowledge" exactly?

It is best defined by Peter Senge as "the capacity for effective action."

"Economic knowledge" then refers to "the capacity for effective economic action."

"Economic action" means anything you do which creates value for someone else. If you're taking a shower, for instance, you're not creating any value for someone else. But if you're cooking a meal for four people, then you are creating value for three other people.

The funny thing is that every day, at exactly 5 o'clock, millions of people suddenly are unable to create value.

They're thinking: "My employer is not paying for any time that I spend after 5 PM, so why should I keep working?"

This is the FUNDAMENTAL ECONOMIC MISTAKE made by most people, and that is precisely why they remain poor and economically enslaved to their employers.

Instead of thinking the above, they should be thinking: "Okay, I'll stay at my office from 5 to 6 PM, and during one hour, I will try to create value for BOTH myself and my employer."

In the 90s, I worked for IBM, American Express and CDI Corporate Education Services, and that is precisely what I did. In fact, at IBM, I often stayed till 9 PM to read all the books and magazines and training manuals they had. In this way, I improved my skills and knowledge, which enabled me to contribute MORE to IBM.

Knowledge is really the key to wealth.

The more knowledge you gain, the more money you will make.

If you focus on gaining "economic knowledge," you will be able to create value and deliver it to lots and lots of clients, who will give you a LOT of money.

(By the way, this is what I teach all my business agents -- become one by filling out this form HERE. I teach them everything about my BMW framework for rapidly creating a micro-business: details HERE.)

The problem, of course, is that most employees NEVER receive any useful economic knowledge from their bosses, who will always keep them in the dark about economic and financial matters.

Why? Because the power of any boss comes from his having information that you don't.

He's not a bad person, because if you were boss, you would probably behave in the same way. That's the way it works.

Fortunately for most people, knowledge today is available freely on the Internet. The only remaining bottleneck to people acquiring knowledge and creating wealth from it, is their imagination and their belief in themselves.