Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Save time with virtual micro-labour

If it takes me only 30 minutes to edit a resume while it takes John 3 hours, then I should be editing his resume.

On the other hand, if it takes John only 30 minutes to set up my accounting system (say, Quickbooks) and it would take me (at least) 4 hours to do so, then John should do it.

In other words, it makes sense for John and I to exchange services.

In fact, except for writing this lovely blog, I could use somebody's help in every other area of my life: cooking, washing my clothes, mopping the floor, buying flowers for my wife (whom I haven't found yet), etc.

If I could have such a "workforce," I could really, really concentrate my time and efforts on becoming the best Generation X intellectual the world has ever seen!

Now back to planet Earth.

In reality, it's tough to find people who are good at doing the stuff I am not so good at doing.

Yet, there's hope, thanks to the Internet. Indeed, we can find people who can do tasks for us on a virtual basis.

Favorville.com is an example, although it's not well organized yet. You do favors for other people for free.

But there will be new websites where people who do favors can actually earn credits, so they can use them to get free services from others.

That will create a market for what I call "virtual micro-labour."

Micro-labour refers to simple tasks that you do for other people; it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.

Virtual means the service is provided via the Internet, Skype, etc.

If you believe that virtual micro-labour will take off soon, then your most strategic move right now would be to build a network of contacts (via Linkedin.com, for instance).

The more people there are in your network, the more free micro-labour you can easily get. This will help you save time, which you can spend on the really important stuff like developing your talent.