Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Don't be fooled by Internet business schemes

http://www.arealopportunityforwealth.com/

If you visit the above site, you can learn a great deal about how business works (or doesn't).

Now I don't know Cynthia and I'm sure she's a very nice lady, but if I actually use my brain to evaluate the opportunity she's offering, I would not say it's a good business opportunity. This doesn't mean it's not legitimate. It just means that there are too many "X" factors (unknowns) and, therefore, a rational person cannot make an informed decision.

This being said, her arguments AGAINST franchises and buying a brick and mortal business are sound enough. Few people have the capital to buy a franchise or an existing business.

But like I said, she leaves too much to the imagination. In fact, she uses too many pictures of herself in nice locations to excite people's imagination. This is a typical trick to get people to forget about "rational thinking." It's used in advertising all the time.

If I were to compete against her, I would mention these facts about my business:

The last workshop I gave generated $500 in revenues, and took place at Centre St-Pierre: http://www.centrestpierre.org. You can even see the cost of location of the rooms (the one we used cost $60, for 12 seats): http://www.centrestpierre.org/X79/pages/page50.html

I also teach a business workshop for entrepreneurs, and details can be found at http://businessmodelworkout.blogspot.com. Tyark.com, CEFQ.ca, and three other colleges are clients of mine and Zoonie, my sister and business partner. I also gave a strategic planning seminar at McGill University and graduated from the same university with Distinction in 1999 (BCom with specialization in B2B marketing).

Anyways, my point is that if you're recruiting people, it's best to provide the STRAIGHT FACTS. Treat people as rational beings who can think for themselves. Similarly, if you're looking for business opportunities, check the facts.

Don't trust anyone who talks about a "system" without showing you that system or explaining how it works. Often, the "system" is just a "marketing system" used to persuade irrational (or desperate) people who want to escape from the corporate rat race.