Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Law of Attraction

Many people have a hard time believing the Law of Attraction, and it has mostly to do with their refusal to believe that a person can "get anything he wants to get," if he focused on it intensely and consistently and long enough.

Later on, we'll get to the part where I explain that thinking, feeling AND acting are all required -- and not just thinking or imagining ideal outcomes while "meditating" in your living room. Indeed, if you don't act and just sit there on your sofa and visualize nice outcomes, pretty soon, you'll be sitting on the floor because your creditors will drop by and lawfully seize all your furniture!

The question is, "Can a person really get ANYTHING he wants?"

The answer is yes. If he really wants it. Here, it's super important to understand what is meant by "wanting."

If I say, "I want a harem full of beautiful, exotic women," then that would be more of a wish. It's not a "want" because nothing in my past life experience has driven me to want such a thing (although, of course, being the master of a harem packing 100 beautiful women ready and willing to fulfill my every male desire would be a memorable experience for sure!).

But if I say, "I want a job where I will not be bored, one that excites me and stimulates me and drive me to create new ideas, things or solutions all the time!", then that might be considered a biographically credible "want" because in the past, I've had to "endure" so many boring jobs that drove me out of my mind!

A few years ago, I read some research cited by Brian Tracy to the effect that 95% of corporate CEOs come from poor backgrounds. This is not surprising: because they grew up in poor families, they naturally had the desire for wealth, power and status. Their "wanting" was biographically justified. Therefore, the Law of Attraction began to work and they were able to achieve what they really wanted.

So this means the expression "Be careful what you wish for" is not exactly true. It should be "Be careful what you really, really want."

What you wish for never comes into being. What you really want, based on and arising from your (usually unwanted or negative) life experiences, usually comes into your life -- IF you align your thoughts, feelings and actions.

This distinction between a wish and a want is not clearly understood by most people, especially people seeking financial freedom or wealth.

They wish for wealth, but they don't really want it. To want something means your entire being is screaming out for it. Your entire being becomes a sort of voracious mouth eating everything in life and society that could lead you to wealth, including books, encounters, ideas, workshops, etc.

Here's a practical exercise: if you can write 5 pages explaining why you want wealth, then it's probably a good bet that you really want wealth.

Or you could write an essay of 5 pages on why you want something else, such as "a great boyfriend or girlfriend, a big house, an amazing sports car, a fulfilling career, an exciting social life, a big harem, etc. Sorry, Freudian slip! :-)

(to be continued)