Friday, September 21, 2007

Success comes from negative thinking

Most people tend to think that success requires positive thinking.

This is true, but up to a certain point. That is, you need to be positive in order to build enthusiasm for and conviction about a project. But once you start a project, you should be negative about anything NOT related to the project.

Here's what Gordon Gekko said to Bud Fox at the end of their very first meeting: "Bud Fox, I look at a hundred deals a day, I choose one."

In other words, here's the success secret: No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Yes.

This sounds easy, yet to say "No" to offers, people, projects, opportunities, etc. that come your way every day, you have to be really, really, really FOCUSED on the one project you're trying to accomplish. Focus is super-important!

F.O.C.U.S. means Follow One Course Until Successful.

Since we are rarely objective about our own performance, it helps to have a partner who will tells us the truth. A partner who will constantly ask us: "Is what you are currently doing helping you to reach your short-term goals? How, exactly?"

I myself tend to be "all over the place."

A few years ago, my then girlfriend told me the truth. She said: "Peter, I look at you and you're so passionate and enthusiastic, and you try so hard to do so many things at the same time. You're all over the place! But don't you think it's better to focus on one thing and do it well?"

She was right. The shocking part is that she told me that while we were making love.

Just kidding. I hope my mom will never come across this post! (At least, not while I'm still alive!).

My point is that everybody wins when we focus on one thing, and do it well. Starting new projects is easy, even kids can do that. But it takes maturity to persist and focus on one project or goal, and make sure it is achieved before moving on to the next project or goal.