Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Are you emotionally intelligent?

I don't know about you, but when I hear the expression "emotional intelligence," I immediately think it's one of those feminine issues that a real man should not be bothered with.

For a long time, I've known myself to possess superior intelligence and I feel pretty comfortable with that self-delusion.

"Emotional intelligence" therefore seems like a new game that is gaining popularity, a game whose rules I don't know and where I have to start from square one. Darn.

But over time, I've begun to realize that being "emotionally smart" can actually be good for business. My secret technique, therefore, is to insert a nice compliment every ten minutes when I coach women entrepreneurs. Women seem to like compliments just as they like flowers and chocolates. The difference, of course, is that giving a compliment doesn't cost me anything. Yay.

Below is an answer I wrote on Linkedin Answers in response to a question ("What's the number one issue that emotional intelligence helps to resolve?").

By the way, did I mention how amazing you look today? I'm not kidding! Look at yourself! If there were more people like you on this planet, we'd be living in paradise! Keep looking good! :-)

===

Wealth.

Let's face it, we all would like to become wealthy or at least achieve financial independence. Only one person in 20 ever achieves financial independence.

However, wealth depends on being able to predict, explain and influence positively the emotionality of other people.

People always appreciate it when you change their inner states for the better. Proof: this is why people watch movies, go on a roller coaster, have dinners in nice restaurants. They like to feel good.

An Emotional Intelligence (EI) Master therefore is one who is able to create those positive inner states in people, by intuitively or rationally ascertain where people currently are emotionally speaking, and helping them to get to a better place emotionally speaking.

Anthony Robbins, for instance, is an EI Master. This being said, we can all become better at emotional intelligence. It's just a matter of knowing the few key principles and then practicing them every chance we get.

The more we are able to make other people feel good, the greater the chances that we'll become wealthy. In that sense, there is some kind of cosmic justice at work: people who are good at making others feel good, eventually get rewarded the most.