Monday, June 12, 2006

Feedback & Feet Forward

Anthony Robbins once said: "Change is automatic. Progress is not."

Progress is difficult because it requires feedback that is OBJECTIVE and PRECISE.

Since we are rarely objective about ourselves, we can rarely give ourselves good feedback. And when we do provide feedback to ourselves, it is not precise enough.

Yet, feedback is critical to progress and success.

If the feedback is systematically provided to you, from an objective source, and in a timely manner so that you can act on it, then what you have is a wonderful self-improvement system.

For this summer's tennis tournaments in Montreal, I started practicing against a wall. Painted on the wall is a white line, which is supposed to represent the net.

This wall is my "magic coach." It provides me with objective, real-time feedback, enabling me to continually improve my forehand and backhand.

I can even accelerate the tempo of the feedback by moving closer to the wall, so that I hit the ball after one bounce and not two (this fast rhythm trains my footwork too).

My point is that in any type of work that you do, there IS a way to create such a "magic coach" who will always give you real-time, accurate and valuable feedback on your performance.

Without feedback, there can be no feet forward. Without feedback, you will be stuck where you are, without the possibility of improving yourself in order to perform better in your career or in business.