Friday, March 03, 2006

Mastering one book vs reading 200 books

When I was a teenager, my father came into my room and saw so many books lying around.

He said: "The man who masters one book, is more dangerous than the man who reads a hundred books."

Since my father became very wealthy before the age of 30, I took his advice seriously and memorized it -- although, at the time, I had absolutely NO IDEA what he meant!

It is only today, some 20 years later, that I'm beginning to understand what he was trying to get at.

It's about mastering knowledge. If you master knowledge, it becomes a part of you, like a reflex. You become more powerful. You can achieve more.

Perhaps best of all, you will have learned the art of integrating others' knowledge (their very biography!) into your habitual way of thinking, seeing, being.

You are no longer a mere reader "reading" another person's book. You are a life devouring and feeding on another life. You are a mind drawing strength from another mind.