Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Why is success difficult?

It’s so simple to be happy, but so difficult to be simple.
—Gururaj Ananda Yogi

I guess it's the same with success: it's so simple to be successful, but so difficult to be simple.

Maybe this is why the movie Forrest Gump has such appeal. We all want to believe that success is simple, and just a matter of always doing what is right.

We often tend to think that success is a matter of using our mind, when it is perhaps just a matter of liberating our heart. Perhaps success is just a matter of helping ourselves become who we truly are.

But this is not easy. After all, we live in a "man's world" where showing your true emotions is not always well perceived. In fact, in many executive circles, any sign of emotion is likely to be interpreted as a sign of weakness.

In my own life, it is only recently that I have learned to follow my heart while using my brain. I've always trusted the logic of my mind. Now, I have to learn to trust the magic that can only come from the heart.