Monday, August 25, 2008

How to get free money?

Last time I saw my 9-year-old nephew, I asked him if he would consider teaching me karate and I would teach him business. I thought it was a good win-win deal.

However, he totally surprised me by getting straight to the point and asking this blunt question: "How can I get free money?"

Since the truth often comes out of the mouth of children, I decided to think seriously about his question. Interestingly, he asked this question with a very serious face!

Upon examining this question deeply (as only my penetrating mind can do!), I realized that it is in fact a profoundly philosophical question. Indeed, my nephew realizes that life has infinite value and that, therefore, the "money problem" should be solved as soon as possible and without any cost of life.

What is "cost of life"?

Well, it means that if you have to work for 40 years in order to retire and live as you wish upon retiring from the workforce, then such freedom cost you 40 years of your life (except for the evenings and week-ends during those 40 years).

In short, my nephew wants to know how he can "retire" immediately and live the life he wants to live. This is what, I presume, he means by "free money."

In other words, the key question is, "How can I get lots and lots of money to support my favorite lifestyle, WITHOUT having to work for that money?"

You probably think it's impossible.

Allow me to prove you wrong. :-)

Two college dropouts from Chicago had an idea in 2000. They created a website called Threadless.com. Then, they invited people to submit T-shirt designs, and also invited people to vote on the best designs. They'd then print the T-shirts and offer it for sale (of course, the winning designers got T-shirts for free).

It cost them $5 to produce a T-shirt, and sold it for $12 to $25. Revenues for 2006? $17 million.

Yup, that's revenues of $17,000,000 for DOING NOTHING. Remember, this company was founded by two college dropouts.

And what about the 17-year-old Ashley Quall who became a millionaire by launching the website Whateverlife.com?

Because of stories like that, I tend to listen carefully to what kids today are saying. They have a way of thinking that escapes older folks (like me). Fortunately, I think a lot like a kid since I've always believed, to the dismay of my girlfriends, that "maturity is a sure sign of aging, and I'm against aging!"

Let's get back to Threadless.com. Today, they get 1,000 designs submitted EVERY WEEK. They have a community of 600 voters. And they pay the winners $2,000 in cash, and a $500 store credit. Sure, their design cost is $1,000,000/year, but they make much more money by -- oh, need I remind you? -- DOING NOTHING!!

So to get back to my nephew's question, my answer would be: "You can get free money by getting the world to work for you!"

I have a few ideas as to how this can be done, and will write more in a few days.