Monday, June 26, 2006

Follow your bliss, have a blast

"Follow your bliss." - Joseph Campbell

---

I admire Joseph Campbell for the important work he has done in making the power and mystery of myths accessible to ordinary people (like me).

His well-known advice for finding one's vocation -- follow your bliss! -- can be further elaborated on, given today's enormous wealth-creation opportunities unleashed by the Internet.

Thus:

Follow your bliss, capture it, then make sure it serves the needs of all the people on this planet who are connected to the Internet.

Campbell has never formally defined "bliss," so let me offer a tentative definition based on two key concepts I use in my career workshops:

Bliss = Talent X Passion

Let's take the example of Esther Dyson, founder of www.edventure.com

Bliss = (analysis, thinking, writing) X (technology, artificial intelligence, futurism)

Not only did she capture her bliss, she made sure it serves the needs of high-level decision-makers in the high-tech industry. (She received an advance of $1,000,000 to write the book Release 1.0).

What is YOUR bliss?

A bliss can actually be a blast, that is, a highly exciting or pleasurable experience or event, such as a big party.

However, in order to become rich (or well rewarded financially) in the pursuit of one's bliss, it's necessary and vital to use it in a way that serves a REAL need experienced by REAL people.

In other words, people have to come to you, put some money on the table and say: "I heard about your product/service. I think it can help me. Here's my (hard-earned) money. I expect to receive something valuable in return. Gimme, gimme, gimme!"

If you can serve the real needs of real people by using the Internet (via Skype, chatrooms, knowledge-sharing via files, Webinars, etc.), then your path to financial freedom might be accelerated dramatically.