Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mark the hit to hit the mark

All motivational authors and speakers talk about goal-setting.

Yet, for some reason, most people somehow don't quite believe in it. The proof is that most people don't have goals written down on a piece of paper.

(By the way, my goal is to become "the most daring, influential and prolific intellectual of Generation X." My previous goal, since age 7, was to become "the most famous Victoria's Secret photographer," but I quickly realized I would'n't be able to explain this properly to my future wife, so...).

So why is goal-setting so important? I think it's because it allows you to USE and LEVERAGE the most powerful technology in the universe: your mind.

Without a goal, your mind will simply not work. Sure, it would go through familiar routines every day, like driving to the office, pushing paper, then coming back home to watch the news and a couple of sitcoms. But your mind would not work.

Without a goal that motivates you, your mind will refuse to get out of bed. Sure, your body will get out of bed every morning and grab a cup of coffee. But mentally speaking, you're still in bed.

It's like as if your mind was going: "Look, John, you don't really have a goal in your career and in your life. Now I don't know if Peter told you, but I really AM the most powerful technology in the universe. I ain't getting out of bed unless you have a big goal that could use my rather fabulous powers and incredible genius. By the way, is coffee ready yet?"

The ultimate success secret, therefore, seems to be: Awaken the genius that sleeps in your mind.

How? By marking the hit (i.e. setting a goal). Then, your mind will get out of bed and help you to hit the mark.