Saturday, July 22, 2006

Women want to be the prize, men want to be the winner

My male friends are often impressed that I can actually approach any beautiful Asian woman on the street and talk to her about the glamorous opportunity to become a cover girl for the newspaper I'm writing for.

The girls I approach, naturally, are very excited about this opportunity. All women want to be "prizes" (in the same way that all men -- well, most of them anyways -- want to be winners).

(By the way, the last cover girl's story can be read HERE. I'm quite honoured to have met Soumaly.)

I guess the success secret to becoming a "prize" is to realize that it's a perceptual game: a woman has to be able to shape a man's perception of her. This is why I find the book The Art of Seduction (by Robert Greene) so useful (especially to young women). It's all about the art and craft of masterfully controlling the male imagination.

For men, however, the success secret to becoming a "winner" is to realize that it's an intellectual game. The smarter you are (book smart + life smart), the more money, power, prestige, leverage, influence, etc. you get. That, in turn, attracts the most beautiful women.