Saturday, July 22, 2006

Choose friends carefully, most carefully

One lesson I've learned in life is that I have to decide clearly who I want to hang around with, because these people will decide clearly what kind of life I will have.

Here's what I mean: if you hang around with people who have no goals, then you will also have no goals. If they have no ambition, then you will also have no ambition. If they spend too much money on looking good (fashion, accessories, etc.), then you will also spend too much money on looking good instead of spending money on BECOMING actually good (books, magazines, courses, coaching, etc.).

If you hang around with employees, you will think like an employee. If you hang around with energetic, optimistic, can't-stop-me entrepreneurs, you will become an entrepreneur (by the way, this is proven statistically: people who know at least one successful entrepreneur, are twice as likely to launch a business themselves).

In my case, I only have friends who are business owners. I find it difficult to have friends who are employees (although I have nothing against employees). They think differently. I get along better with business owners who actually control their economic destiny. I learn much more from them also.

My friends own ad agencies, clinics, software companies, biotech companies, newspapers, Internet companies, etc.

Sometimes, it may seem that I'm rather ruthless when it comes to choosing my friends and allies. But in fact, I choose my friends carefully because I'm thinking about my future wife and kids.

If I hang around with people who have low standards and just take whatever life gives them without going for their grand goals, then they will lower my standards, and that will eventually have an impact on the quality of life that my future wife and children will enjoy.

When I think about her and my future kids, I have absolutely no qualms about cutting off ties with people who don't support me or who are negative thinkers.

At the same time, I realize it is hard for most people to be as ruthless. We tend to look at friends as loved ones who provide emotional support. This is good, of course. But in the new, hyper-competitive economy, more will be expected of friendships.

It is good also to remember that as you mentally review all the friends you have and carefully evaluate what they've actually done to improve your life in the last 6 months, they are probably doing the same as they think of you!

This is why I think it is true that if you try really, really hard to be a good friend, then other people will naturally reciprocate and try to be the best friends for you.