Friday, May 05, 2006

180. Talent and Opportunity

In his book Leverage, Darby Checketts wrote that "you can have all the talent in the world, but until someone gives you the opportunity to use it, it's not of much value."

That is so true.

Many friends have given me the opportunity to exercise my calligraphy talent, my writing talent and my business innovation talent. Recently, it has been my sister Zoonie (www.talentelle.com) who has given me ample opportunities to develop my instructional design talent.

In your life, there are also lots of people who can give you the opportunity to exercise your talent. You just have to be always alert and always ready to serve other people.

My secret is that I rarely focus on the money. I've always heeded Einstein's advice "to be a man of value" rather than to try to aim for "success" or "money."