Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Valedictorian secrets II

In a previous post (HERE), I mentioned that I was able to use a few techniques to always get the best grades in high school (even in college and at university).

A few people have asked me to share the secrets with them, so here goes:
  1. Little by little, does the trick. Study UNFAILINGLY for a specific period of time every day (e.g. one hour or two hours per day, depending on your course load)
  2. Reward yourself with pleasure WHILE you study, and also AFTER you've studied. In my case, I learned calligraphy as a teenager so I really, really enjoyed writing (and rewriting) my class notes! Some people like to study in a sensual environment, or in a nice place like a well designed coffee shop. That works too. Concerning the reward for having studied hard, it's really up to you. But the size of the reward should match the amount of effort that you expended during your study session.
  3. Learn and master mind mapping techniques (look for the book Use your Head, by Tony Buzan, the originator of that powerful technique). Most students do not use that technique and that, in my opinion, a severe mistake. You can also download a free (and fun to use!) software for mind mapping HERE.
  4. Little by little, does the trick. Study a little every day while commuting (by bus or metro), by using cue cards where you ask questions on one side and provide the answer on the other side.

I will cover more secrets in an upcoming post.